Now that the dust has begun to settle following last Thursday's general election results, it has become clear that UKIP only had a minimum effect in the outcome of the poll.
The self styled "UKIP effect" which the party hoped would swing certain election results failed to materialise in any of the seats they contested.
On Monday the right wing think tank the Bruges Group, claimed that UKIP and Veritas had swung the vote in 27 seats, preventing the Tories from taking victory in 18 of them.
Both UKIP and Veritas were quick to take a share of the glory in these seats. However they failed to acknowledge that this balance of power was in fact swayed by the entire euro sceptic vote, which includes the British National Party and other extreme right wing groups.
The entries below are the seats where the euro sceptic claim to hold the balance of the vote, which is borne out of the four way split between Con/Lab/LibDem/Minority Parties. Those in bold type are the five constituencies where Veritas stood and are claiming a share of the ‘glory’ alongside UKIP.
- Basildon (Lab hold) Majority:3142 – UKIP 1,143 BNP 2,055
- Battersea (Lab hold) Majority: 163 - UKIP: 333 Green: 1735
- Burton (Lab hold) Majority: 1,421 UKIP plus Veritas: 1,825. (Veritas: 912) BNP: 1840
- Carshalton & Wallington (LD hold) Majority: 1,068 - UKIP: 1,111
- Cornwall North (LD hold) Majority: 3,076 - UKIP plus Veritas: 3,387 (Veritas: 324) Mebyon Kernow(greater self governance for Cornwall) 1351
- Crawley (Lab Hold) Majority 37 - UKIP 935 BNP 1277
- Dartford (Lab hold) Majority 706 - UKIP: 1,407 Michael Tibby New England Party 1224
- Eastleigh (LD Hold) Chris Huhne Majority: 568 - UKIP: 1,669
- Gillingham (Lab hold) Majority 254 - UKIP 1,191
- Harlow (Lab hold) Majority 97 - UKIP plus Veritas 1922 (Veritas: 941, UKIP 981)
- Hereford (Lab hold) Majority: 962 - UKIP: 1,030 Green: 1052
- High Peak (Lab hold) Majority: 735 UKIP 1,106
- Hove (Lab hold) Majority 420 - UKIP 575 Green: 2575
- Medway (Lab hold) Majority: 213 - UKIP 1,488
- Portsmouth North (Lab hold) Majority: 1,139 - UKIP 1,348
- Romsey (LD hold) Majority 125 UKIP: 1,076
- Sittingbourne & Sheppey (Lab hold) Majority: 79 - UKIP plus Veritas: 1,118 UKIP: 926, Veritas: 192 Rock n Roll Loony Party: 479
- Solihull (LD Gain) Majority: 279 - UKIP: 990 BNP: 1752
- Somerton & Frome (LD hold) Majority: 812 - UKIP plus Veritas: 1,531 UKIP: 1047, Veritas: 484)
- Staffordshire Moorlands (Lab hold) Majority: 2,438 - UKIP: 3,512
- Stroud (Lab hold) Majority: 350 - UKIP: 1,089 Green: 3056
- Stourbridge (Lab hold) Majority: 407 - UKIP: 1,087
- Taunton (LD gain) Majority: 573 UKIP: 1,441
Thanet South (Lab hold) Majority: 664 - UKIP (Nigel Farage) 2,079 Green 888
- Torbay (LD hold) Majority: 2,029 - UKIP 3,726
- Warwick & Leamington (Lab hold) Majority: 306 - UKIP: 921 Green: 1534
- Watford (Lab hold) Majority: 1,148 - UKIP: 1,292 Green: 1466
- Westmorland & Lonsdale (LD gain) Majority: 267 - UKIP: 660 Independent (Anthony Kemp): 309
It can therefore be seen that neither UKIP nor Veritas can claim that it holds the balance of power in all 27 of these seats. Veritas only had any bearing on the outcome in Cornwall North and Burton, but only in conjunction with UKIP. UKIP's effect is only minimal considering they contested 495 seats and lost their deposits in all but 45 of them. In fact it is the Greens that can claim to hold a balance of power in six of the above seats and the BNP in three.
It seems that any shreds of credibility which Veritas might have had were done away with, by being beaten to fourth place in Sittingbourne and Sheppey by the Rock 'n' Roll Loony Party.
Source: The Bruges Group